GTAC Reflection

Gene Technology Access Centre

On the 27th and the 31st of November the 5/6’s went to GTAC [some went on one the day and the others went on the other day]. I went on the 31st of November 2013 and learnt so much about forensic science and science in general.

Some things we covered and did were use microscopes. Most of the stuff we did was based around looking at things in microscopes and we learnt how to use microscopes and features of it.

We had to solve a challenge using forensic science skills with microscopes. We looked at different objects like seeds and leaves. We used 2 different microscopes. One called the stereo microscopes and another one called a compound microscope. These are not the only microscopes these are just the ones we used. A stereo microscope can see up to 400 times magnifying. It goes from 4x, 100x, 400x. The other microscope can see up to 1000x. It can go from 10x, 100, 1000x. The lens itself in a stereo microscope is 4x and in a compound it is 10x. We looked at water samples trying to find paramecium, euglena and spirogyra. These are micro organisms. They are so small you can not see them only under a compound microscope.

3 facts I now know:

1. Here are the parts of a microscope. These are for a stereo microscope and a compound microscope. The eyepiece lens, objective lens, stage, focus knob, light source.

2. That a tiny seed is big, brown and a bit hairy under a microscope.

3. The name spirogyra is named that because under a microscope is a stripe line that when not under a microscope you can not see.

2 understandings I now have:

1. There are heaps of careers in science and forensic science that all sound interesting. They are all different and all have different jobs and you need different expertise to do them.

2. In science with the equipment you use you need to use you have to be carful with it because you can get fingerprints on them and spill stuff. This will effect the outcome of your experiment.

1 wondering I still have:

1. How many jobs are there that have to do with science?

Links:

http://www.gtac.edu.au/site/home.html

3 thoughts on “GTAC Reflection

1. Dear Amelia
    I really enjoyed reading your blog about your visit to GTAC. You learned so much about microscopes and forensics working with your scientist.
    There are many careers in science. I have friends that I went to university with who all did a degree in Biological Science. The jobs that they now have include:
    A genetic councillor
    A patent attorney
    A science communicator
    and me, the Director of GTAC.
    I hope we get to see you again in the future and good luck with your studies.
    Jacinta

• Thankyou for that great comment. There must be so many jobs in science in all different felids of science. I would like to come to GTAC as I learnt so much about microscopes. Are there any projects you are working on now?
      Thanks
      Amelia

2. Pingback: More GTAC feedback | lee's classroom